Forest School Sessions
We have weekly Forest School sessions, led by our fully qualified Forest School Teacher!
What is Forest School?
Forest School is an inspirational concept, originating from Scandinavia, which enables children to learn in an outdoor setting, with the aim to develop personal, social, emotional and technical skills. The philosophy is to encourage and inspire individuals to learn through positive outdoor experiences.
Through hands on learning in nature, children are given the opportunity to develop self-confidence and build resilience whilst nurturing their curiosity in the world around them and learning how to look after the environment. The main focus of Forest School is unstructured play to allow the children to engage in open ended tasks with no specific learning outcome thus allowing their imagination to flourish.
The learning experience is child initiated, with adults playing a supporting role and planning in the moment, assisting the children in learning at their own pace.
Forest School happens throughout the year, regardless of the weather; this allows children to make a real connection with nature and observe its changing seasons.
The Forest School ethos is based around six key principles:
1. Forest School is a long-term process of frequent and regular sessions in a woodland or natural environment. Planning, adaptation, observations and reviewing are integral elements of Forest School.
2. Forest School takes place in a woodland or natural environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world.
3. Forest School aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
4. Forest School offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
5. Forest School is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
6. Forest School uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for development and learning.